Teachers working in New Zealand primary, intermediate and secondary schools are eligible to borrow resources from our service. Schools are those identified on the Ministry of Education schools list.
If you are new to teaching or have moved schools please contact your nearest service centre to establish or update your borrower record.
School librarians are welcome to use Curriculum Services to:
- Borrow on behalf of students doing individual research. We can help you with resources not available in your Library and provide access to the wider collections of the National Library.
- Borrow a loan of books, in your name, to use with students in the library.
- Manage the requests for your school with loans issued to the teacher concerned.
If you have moved schools or are new to your position please contact your nearest service centre to register to borrow.
Home educators with an exemption certificate from the Ministry of Education are welcome to borrow resources for use by their students. You’ll be asked to provide a birth certificate for children who are five years old and a current exemption certificate from the Ministry of Education for children 6-18 years old. You can:
- Complete and forward the enrolment form (PDF) or contact your nearest service centre to enrol to borrow.
- Borrow up to five books per family member.
- Visit a service centre or ask for the resources to be sent out to you by using our online form or by phoning the 0800 number of your nearest service centre.
Teacher trainees are welcome to use our service while on teaching practice in a school. Please phone or visit your nearest service centre at least two weeks before you go on teaching practice to discuss your resourcing needs and any other services we can provide. We’ll need to know:
- Your name
- The school in which you will be on teaching practice.
- The name of your associate teacher to create a borrower record for you.
We suggest you discuss your resourcing needs with your associate teacher before you contact us and find out what resources are available from the school library.We are always keen to talk to groups of trainee teachers about our service, resources and the online resources available from the wider National Library. Please contact your nearest service centre to arrange a visit.
What can you borrow?
- You can borrow books, DVDs, CDs and other audiovisual items from the Schools Collection.
- Our resources are carefully selected to support the curriculum and encourage reading engagement and include fiction, non-fiction, picture books and graphic novels.
- Our resources are appropriate for years 1 to 13.
- We can source items from National Library’s General Collection on your behalf.
- Links to selected online resources can be sent at your request.
- The standard loan size for teachers is 30 items. Secondary teachers can request a loan for every class they teach.
- If a topic is in high demand we may need to restrict the number of resources we can send you on that topic. However you are welcome to top up your loan to 30 with some general reading material for your class.
How long can you keep the resources for?
- Resources from the schools collection may be kept until the end of each term.
- If you have finished using your resources earlier in the term we encourage you to return them and request another loan.
- Items on loan from the National Library’s General Collections in Wellington have a five week loan period.
Can I renew my loan?
We can renew your loan providing the loan is not a current high demand topic or the items have not been requested by another client. To discuss your renewal request phone or email your nearest centre.
How long will it take for our resources to arrive?
- We process resource requests in the order that we receive them.
- Resources are usually delivered in 5 to 10 working days. However in peak times (the beginning of each term), they may take longer, so we recommend placing your orders well in advance if possible.