Schools are welcome to borrow from our carefully selected and up-to-date collection of over 600,000 books, DVD and CDs.
Read about changes to our services to schools in 2016.
Loans to schools
New Zealand primary, intermediate and secondary schools are eligible to borrow resources from our service.
Schools are those identified on the Ministry of Education schools list.
Loans need to be requested via your school loan coordinator. You are encouraged to work with your coordinators to identify your needs.
Read about the role of school loans coordinator
Teacher trainees are welcome to use our service while on teaching practice in a school. We suggest you discuss your resourcing needs with your associate teacher before you work with your school loan coordinator to place your order.
School librarians are welcome to use Curriculum Services and need to place their requests through their school loan coordinator.
Loans to home educators
Home educators with an exemption certificate from the Ministry of Education are welcome to borrow resources for use by their students. You’ll be asked to provide a birth certificate for children who are 5 years old and a current exemption certificate from the Ministry of Education for children 6-18 years old.
Key features of the home educator loan:
- You can request a loan four times a year of fiction and nonfiction print resources to ignite inquiry learning and to stimulate reading engagement.
- Your loans will include up to 8 inquiry items, up to 8 reading engagement items and the option to request up to 4 author/titles based upon your own author/title search of the Schools Collection catalogue or the National Library General Collection catalogue (maximum of up to 20 items per family per term).
Home educators will need to register to use this service. Details to follow in February.
What can you borrow?
- You can borrow books, DVDs, CDs and other audiovisual items from the Schools Collection.
- Our resources are carefully selected to support the curriculum and encourage reading engagement and include fiction, non-fiction, picture books and graphic novels.
- Our resources are appropriate for years 1 to 13.
- The number of resources a school can borrow is determined by the size of the school’s role.
- If a topic is in high demand we may need to restrict the number of resources we can send you on that topic.
How long can you keep the resources for?
- Resources from the schools collection may be kept until the end of each term.
- If you have finished using your resources earlier in the term we encourage you to return them and request another loan.
- Items on loan from the National Library’s General Collection in Wellington have a 5-week loan period.
Can I renew my loan?
We can renew your full loan providing the loan is not a current high demand topic or the items have not been requested by another client. We are unable to renew parts of loans.
Contact your nearest centre to discuss your renewal request.
How long will it take for our resources to arrive?
- We process resource requests in the order that we receive them.
- We aim to have the resources selected and dispatched within 10 working days. However, in peak times (the beginning of each term), they may take longer, so we recommend placing your order well in advance if possible.
- Please note we have had a great uptake from schools in term 1 2016, and there are a number of schools still in the queue to receive their loans. We are working as fast as we can to complete these loans and are communicating directly with these schools.
Find out more
Read more about the new lending service.
Read more about Returning loans via courier.