Information, resources and case studies can stimulate thinking about future design of school libraries. We aim to help librarians, principals and other stakeholders imagine new library spaces that achieve your goals as you work to develop your services.
Information and inspiration to help school libraries support student achievement. Includes library as space, 21st century collections, your library's online presence, and library management.
Our services and resources
0800 LIB LINE
The 0800 LIB LINE (0800 5425463) advisory service provides support and answers to your questions on any aspect of school library development. The service is staffed from Monday to Friday, from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
The SchoolsCat database enables your school library team to find and download catalogue records and import them into your ILS (integrated library system).
Your library’s online presence includes many elements, from selecting a suitable Integrated Library System (ILS) for 24/7 access, to its web presence and interactivity with users, to RFID technology for streamlining issues and returns.
- Your library online: blogs and wikis
- Your library online: systems & access
- Optimising your Integrated Library System (ILS)
- Changing your Integrated Library System (ILS)
- Radio-frequency identification (RFID)
- Integrated Library Systems (ILS)
- Emerging technologies
- Library online environment
- Your library online: web presence
Here are guides to aspects of library management, helping you to support student learning in line with curriculum and learning directions, within the evolving information landscape and changing technologies used to access and use information.
- Student librarians
- School library handbook: management and procedures
- The school library and learning in the information landscape
- Library team
- School library suppliers list
- Professional qualifications and support
- Preparing for an Education Review Office (ERO) visit
- Annual Report
- Managing your school library: guiding statement
- Job descriptions for school library positions
- School library staff performance appraisal
These guides will help you manage and build your library’s print and online collection to meet the needs of 21st century learners. Topics include collection assessment, weeding, selection, and relating your decisions to your user community.
To support you in developing your school library collection (print and electronic) we include guides to creating a policy statement, budgeting, cataloguing your resources, and stocktaking.
Information and guides to specific types of resources can be found here. It includes, information resources for Māori or Pasifika students, publishers of Māori resources, magazines, reference resources (especially online), and e-books.