EPIC (Electronic Purchasing In Collaboration) is a consortium of New Zealand library and information organisations that have joined together to buy collective access to a wide range of quality e-resources.
The Ministry of Education is a member of the EPIC consortium and subscribes annually to a range of EPIC e-resources, making them freely available to all New Zealand schools.
EPIC e-resources for educators and students
EPIC provides a gateway to thousands of e-resources for use at school and home by students and staff, covering a wide range of curriculum topics, from the Arts, Biographies, English, Geography, Health, History, Languages, Science, to current events and much more.
You’ll have access to a rich range of full-text magazines and newspapers, along with biographies, encyclopedia and other reference works, books and images, as well as sound and video clips. New Zealand content is also included. Many of the databases are updated daily.
Epic E-resources in 2016 (PDF 462KB) gives a full list and description of the Ministry of Education funded resources.
Benefits for students
- Articles are professionally curated, often peer-reviewed.
- Enhanced access to quick fact-finding information and more in-depth coverage of topics, supports scaffolding of next steps in learning.
- Students with accessibility issues, eg visual impairment, have articles made accessible in a number of ways, including being read aloud.
- Provides 24/7 access to quality e-resources that students and teachers may otherwise not have at their disposal.
Benefits for educators, including school leaders
- EPIC e-resources expand your library's collections and teacher resource room/departmental resources to meet a number of informational and professional reading needs across the curriculum.
- You can access sample lesson plans and training resources, including interactive resources, videos, tip sheets, and scavenger hunt activities.
- EPIC enhances the school’s e-learning environment with access to quality up-to-date digital content.
- You'll have access to research articles on the education sector, modern learning environments (including school libraries) and learning and teaching programmes.
- Included are online study guides and interactive lessons for finding, evaluating and reusing resources responsibly and safely (digital citizenship) to help enrich your staff professional learning programmes.
- The Gale Cengage resources in EPIC integrate seamlessly with Google Classroom and Google Drive.
How to access and use EPIC e-resources
To access EPIC resources:
- Choose one of the following links:
- Click the link for the resource you want.
- If your school is networked through the Network for Learning (N4L) managed network, you can access EPIC resources directly (with no login required) from within the school network. Otherwise, you will be prompted for your EPIC school login details.
- For EPIC school login queries, email email@example.com
- EPIC direct links for NZ schools explains how to set up your own direct access to EPIC resources.
Read these resources:
For general enquiries, contact the New Zealand EPIC Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone Paula Banks on 04 474 3058.